Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm back...

OK, so I haven't completely abandoned my blog.  Sorry for the unintentional summer break.  Living in the Pacific Northwest we've been taking advantage of the sunshine and spending more time outside, which of course means time away from the sewing machine.  I've been working on more portable projects.  Lots of hexie making and though I don't have a picture to post, I've been knitting a bit.  I'll fill you in on the knitting project after Christmas as I'm making something for a friend.

Here are some of the squares I'll be sending off for Round II of the Mod Bento Block Swap.  I didn't get a chance to participate last time.  Everyone in the house had a cold and well, taking care of the kiddies was more important.  Can't wait to send these off and see what I get in return!  It's still a few weeks before they're due.  Still time to participate if you're interested.  :)
Meanwhile I had a few scraps left over until I saw this.  I just had to make one like it.  It's been a fun little project and it's taught me a lot, like how to baste diamonds, triangles, and half hexies.
It also taught me that I needed to make smaller whip stitches so that they wouldn't show as much on the front.  Here's the little mini quilt all pieced together.  I really enjoyed every minute of it.  That is up until this point...now what?  I'm going to attempt to hand quilt it, something I've never done before.  Of course, since I've never hand quilted anything, I've got lots of questions which = lots of Google searches.  :)  Which leads me to ask you...know any good hand quilting tutorials?  What color thread should I quilt with?  Should I add a border or should I leave it as it is?  Then of course, what will I use for the backing fabric and binding?  Should I only quilt the stars?  The hexies?  So many decisions and I tend to be a bit indecisive, if you haven't noticed.  That folks is why I don't get projects finished, I just move on to the next thing.  Such a bad habit!  Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love to read them!